Sunday, March 22, 2009

A Pretty Good Weekend

Well, nothing this weekend went the way I anticipated, which in some ways was good. Had all three grandchildren, and had planned several crafty ideas, with a little help from my friends! But the weather was beautiful, and we spend most of our time outside. They rode bikes and we loaded up and went to the neighborhood park Friday afternoon and Saturday morning. Saturday afternoon my daughter took all three on what was supposed to be a skating expedition, but they decided they didn't want to skate, so they went to McDonald's and then she took them to a bigger park with more play equipment, and trails to walk.

I had to be up early every morning and take the little lamb that stayed all night with me to my daughter's house so she could go to work. This got her good and awake, and she didn't want to lie back down and go to sleep and soon had everybody else up too early, which annoyed me until I figured out that the earlier they were up the earlier they would run down and be ready to go to bed.

Today before Sunday School we had doughnuts at the church coffee bar. After church we went out for dinner and had chinese. I like to take them there because everyone can find something they like and at least one vegetable they will eat. I thought I was going to have to empty my pockets to convince 'the beggar' that I didn't have any extra money to get her a light-up necklace they had for sale by the cash register.

All the way from church to the restaurant, 'the beggar' and 'the lawyer' pelted me with questions about where we were going to eat. I said, 'You'll see when we get there.' And I told them, 'I'm tired of you all arguing and disagreeing about what you want to do and where you want to go. From now on, I will take you where I think is best, and today we are going to eat somewhere that I like.' The 'lawyer' asked, 'Is it going to be this way from now on?' and I said YES. Strangely enough, they settled right down and didn't give me any more guff! How about that? And when we pulled into the parking lot, they all tumbled out of the car very cheerful and not one complaint. Do you think I am on to something?

After dinner we went home and then they decided they wanted to go back to the park, so we took a neighbor child along and back to the park we went. They played happily beside the creek, picking up tiny little shells of impossibly tiny snails and other little creatures, when they weren't swinging or climbing or chasing each other. I finally drug them home, dirty but happy, and took 'the beggar' back down to her mother's house. All in all, it was a pretty good weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great weekend!! Your grand children are lucky to have such a great Grammy! Love the Snoopy picture! You with all your troops ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think "dirty" kids are the happiest...I hope this new week goes great!

    ReplyDelete