Friday, March 27, 2009

I Have a Dream! Can I Make it Come True?

A few years ago when I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis (a form of RA) I had already given up so many things I couldn't do any more because of my painful, swollen hands. The one I missed most was embroidery. I used to sit in the evenings, stitching away through the news, I carried projects with me to waiting rooms, and even to work for break times and lunch. The last project I did was Christmas ornaments. For a while I kept on trying, then switched to plastic canvas. Finally I just quit trying.

The only thing I can still do is type. And I get a great joy from expressing my feelings and thoughts in this way. Right now, I have been taken off all my major meds for a time, and am beginning to see a difference already in my typing ability! Much slower, more clumsy, more mistakes. BUT it's just for a while! And I have decided not to give in. I am coming back with a vengeance. As soon as I am back on my meds, I am going to start a project. Not embroider, I just can't push and pull the needle BUT I am going to learn how to quilt! I can machine stitch the pieces, can't I? And can't I knot it instead of quilting? I remember having lots of them with yarn knots when we were kids - Mama called them 'comforters'.

So, anybody with quilting experience (hint: yes, you) who is willing to give me beginners advice, I will be more than happy to hear and learn. I lost my sweet Mama about a year ago, and I would like to make a Mama quilt with some of her favorite clothes that all her kids and grands and greatgrands will remember seeing her wear. I must confess I don't (didn't) even own a sewing machine, but I now have Mama's little portable one. So bring on the advice for truly novice, beginning, baby-step quilters. I won't get my meds back for a few weeks, so I have time to pick the garments I want to use, and I can get my grands to help me cut pieces.

It will have to be somethng simple, but I kind of wanted somethng a little more than just squares of fabric. Are my goals too high? I'm starting to waver, here. Maybe I should just gather up my material and take it to an accomplished quilter? What do you think? Input! Input!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you do make your dream come true. I can't wait to see what you make...I'm pulling for you!

    ReplyDelete