Monday, March 30, 2009

I Have a Plan (Sort of)

I am making a sort of plan on how to reach the goal of making a 'Mama memory' quilt. I will be without regular RA meds for about 2 more weeks, BUT I am on good ol' prednisone. So I am not feeling too bad. I have been checking out some quilt designs and instructions, and checking out the materials from Mama's wardrobe that I want to use. And I'm getting some ideas.

But I need to check out the machine and see if it still works! Mama had macular degeneration the last several years of her life, and had not been able to see well enough to sew. It has not been used for a good while. And I need to do some practicing with it, to be sure I can actually use it. I haven't done any 'real' sewing since Mama was still using her Singer cabinet model, and that has been a very long time. So I think I will join in with the gals making the denim picnic quilt. My grands love picnics better than almost anything, and it will get a lot of use. If I get it done. If the machine works.

I have been thinking about the materials I am planning on using, and they are of varying textures and weights. Could this be a problem? Some are very sturdy and some are delicate. Some are older and some are newer. I think it is going to take special care to make it all come together. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! It occurred to me that if my hands are up to it, I might use some of the more delicate fabrics to make flower petals and applique them onto squares of sturdier fabric. Sewing the squares together should be easy, right?

If anybody has any thoughts, I'm listening!

1 comment:

  1. Might not be easy, but anything that keeps us humans occupied also keeps our minds sharp.

    ReplyDelete