Thursday, April 2, 2009

Disturbed, Delighted and Surprised!

Where to begin! First, morning inspection at daughter's house showed no evidence of further visits. Nevertheless, we will not be relaxing our vigilance. Set out another trap in a likely place just in case.

I took the 'lawyer' to a friend's house in the country for a visit, then the 'warrior' and I started the search for a computer desk to free up Mama's little sewing table. The trip to the Goodwill store was a disappointment. Which is odd, because I have seen any number of nice ones when I didn't want one. Anyway, we decided to go to Big Lots, and hit the jackpot. I was looking at a very nice one on sale, $69.99, down from $89.99. It came with a 3 shelf bookcase. As I was wondering if they would sell the one already assembled, because of my hands, the nice sales girl pointed out that there was another one assembled that had been returned because of cosmetic damage. I got it for $49.99! Yeah!

I also went to Radio Shack and got a new indoor antenna to go with my converter box. First thing when I got home, I hooked it up. It was very disappointing. When I got a call from my oldest brother that he needed my help, I took the thing with me and exchanged it for the most powerful one they had. Amplified, they said. I had to pay almost $30 more for it. Well, it was no better than the cheaper one. It is hard to go from basic cable to four or five channels! But I can't afford to keep the cable. See, my rent went up $30 this month, and I had to start paying a monthly premium on my health insurance this year, in addition to what they take out of my disability check, which I didn't have to do last year. So I've got to cut back where I can. (Notice I am not proposing to quit blogging. I'm hooked on venting online!) But I don't take the paper anymore, and I'm canceling most of my magazine subscriptions.

Anyway, I don't know if they will give me my money back so I can look elsewhere or not. Maybe I should just give up. I probably watch too much anyway. But I can't get channel 8 on this thing, and I really like CSI. And I can't get 13, and I'm used to their morning newscast. And I can't get 59, and I like Fox news. My, am I spoiled or what? What a whiner!

BUT when I finally got wound down for the evening, and went to check my emails, there was a wonderful surprise! I won something! I never win anything, but I won the handmade soap on Karen's Healthy Living blog. Wow, I can hardly wait to try it. Maybe this means I am on a roll, and more good things will happen! You can't believe how excited I am to be a winner! It's a new role for me!

I started writing this last night, and had just finished telling about the desk when the lights went out! So I was glad to find today that it was saved for me to finish. Today is daughter's birthday, and the grands and I are taking her to Ryan's for dinner tonight. And we have to get busy and bake her a cake today while she is at work. So enough gabbing, back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment